Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Meat-ing with Jihyang at Hongdae

Earlier in the evening, I had met up with Jihyang for "Meat-ing". The restaurant's name is a play of words. Wordplay, if you'd quote John Lennon.

Learning a new word:
할인

We had some interesting conversations about traveling, language origins, learning Chinese, the weather, IU and Ha Jiwon, where to find IU's home, and making sentences such as "초고다 스토 커.

This restaurant was all about meat. You're allocated 1 hour 30 minutes, to grill your own meat, samgyeopsal (3 layered pork, I should be practising my hangeul typing!), a variety of sausages, more meat, super thin sliced and curled up beef, chicken, fried pumpkin, vegetables. Plus I think there was soup and other dessert kind of food too.

We were very busy talking. It was good. We ate slow paced. Very good. And grilling and cooking.

김선상님, 감사합니다.

Photos using Xperia L during evening. Thus I had to mask using "soft" layer.

The grilling device is well built. It has a sloping angle, non-stick, with pockets for the extra grease and oil from the pork fat to drip into and away, instead of burning away into carbon monoxide. The first lesson was reading the grilling knob's "on/off, high/low". Sorry teacher, I forgot!

This teacher smiles all the time and being a good chef at the same time. Second assignment was about reading the white sheet of note on the wall. My reading speed was so slow, perhaps 40 out of 100, and understanding just 10%.

Gwaenchanta - it's ok, just eat since there is a time limit. 

Next, we had a routine walkabout around the western end of Eoulmadang street, towards the quieter corner. We discussed about the well-designed little cafes and shops, and comfortable diners. Just looking at them makes me full. I have to bring my SX40 the next time I am out at night. Among other things, I shared about my idea of selling some type of food that is currently not available in Korea. We'll see. We need some Korean tasters and testers to try, give opinion about food that they had during traveling in South East Asia and whether it suits the palate of the locals. What adjustments needed and so on and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment